Tuesday 10 September 2013

Day 2

Today has been insane. It was the exclusive launch of rihannas collection for river island, and i got to go. Orginally i wasnt on the list but the press controller was so pleased with me on the first day she let me come.

the morning was still full of rihannas team finishing model casting and i learnt nearly all of their names on lunch runs. i also started getting used to returns, learning how to send high res images, filling the press cuttings.

I was then asked by a member of rihannas team if I could help bag all of the models clothes for the catwalk which I said yes too immediately, I made conversation with one of the senior stylists and she offered me some advice and just gave me general insight into the industry she's in, having conversations like that make me realise how strong my people skills can be.

Since I've been interning I've always tried to look for opportunities and i found one today, I overheard a conversation about one of the team taking street style photos on Friday and I asked if she needed a hand as I have my own dslr and study photography at uni and she said yes straight away. I'm really glad I used my imitative and asked.

I had a bit of a down point at the end of the day. We had wrist bands left over to give out and one of the other longer standing interns (RI works by having 1 long term and 1 short term - however there was also another returning intern covering for the team) was asked to deliver them to cosmo's editor. She didnt want to do it even though ahe had nothing else to do - so I had to. I found the directions very hard and relied mostly on google maps on my phone but after asking some strangers I made it eventually. Although I was panicked it was not as bad as it was at closer because I knew I'd find it eventually and that this was something all interns do. The receptionist was really unpleasant and unhelpful and when the editor came down she gave him a mouthful for how he had treated me. I successfully gave her the wrist bands in time and went back to the office. At the time I felt very negative about how stressed it had made me and how the other intern had lumbered this job on me. However in hindsight. I could have just made a valuable contact for the future.

When I came back to the office everyone was getting ready. I was told I had to go seperatley with the competition winners as there wasn't enough press bands, this really upset me. And I nearly decided not to go. In hindsight I think it was the stress of the delivery and taking the situation to heart. I had an hour till the event and I knew deep down that I'd be a fool to miss such an exclusive event. So I did go. I went in alone and made friends with some people in the que who I stayed with mostly. The event was amazing, however I wanted to show the team that I was worth taking so I set about social media taking as many good quality images and videos and tweeting lots, the press controller actually took my picture sand put some on the official RI Instagram because she was so impressed. I was so glad I went to the event, however I did have to go early because of the train. But I was so proud of myself for surviving such a stressful ad manic day and greatful to have been a part of it. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment